This forum is for Alumni users of the Tekguru, 4Winmobile or SmartphoneGurus web sites. Any other users looking to join will likely be deleted.

Brave Browser and the Extensions I use

This is the only area of the forum that is visible to guest users. Posts made in here are for your information
Tekguru
Site Admin

Brave Browser and the Extensions I use

Post by Tekguru »

I'm making this post in the 'guests / information' area of the forum so that it can be shared with external users. 

As I think most of you are aware I use the Brave Browser on the Apple Mac instead of Safari. This is down to a few reasons:
  • A lot of the extensions I wish to use need a chromium browser as a base. 
  • One of the extensions I need is the Apple iCloud extension and that only works with certain chromium browsers like Brave, it will not work with other 'Google-free' browsers such as 'Ungoogled Chromium'.
  • Similarly, this rules out alternative browsers such as Firefox.
  • It is free of the 'Google nastiness as you can read here, this details what the Brave developers remove when building Brave.
So from here I'll detail the extensions I currently have loaded within Brave. These change / vary as I move forward with using Brave:
Chromium extensions in Brave copy.jpg
 In turn they are (extensions in Red/Bold are generally in use).:
  1. AdGuard AdBlocker - Turned off for normal browsing but occasionally used for sites which have issues with Brave Shields or uBlock Origin  [Chrome Webstore Link]
  2. AdGuard VPN - My preferred VPN to add a level of extra security when needed. It's easier for me to use the extension instead of the full application as it means the VPN can only affect the browser not the entire Mac. [Chrome Webstore Link]
  3. Bitwarden - My 'old' password wallet system, now replaced (and at times used in parallel) with Apple's Keychain passwords. [Chrome Webstore Link]
  4. DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials - Turned off for normal browsing, but occasionally used for sites which have issues with Brave Shields or uBlock Origin. [Chrome Webstore Link]
  5. Faster Bookmark - A very quick and flexible way to add / remove sites to my bookmarks. [Chrome Webstore Link]
  6. LanguageTool Grammar Checker - Best free online grammar and spell checker (IMHO). [Chrome Webstore Link]
  7. I still don't care about cookies - Non-Avast based cookie notice blocker. Works much better than the inbuilt Brave system. [Chrome Webstore Link]
  8. iCloud Passwords - Allows me to access Apple's Keychain passwords within Brave. [Chrome Webstore Link]
  9. No-Script Suite Lite - A new extension I'm trying out which allows me to block scripts on a site-by-site basis. [Chrome Webstore Link]
  10. Random User-Agent (Switcher) - Another new extension which I've got set to randomly switch user agents on a regular basis. [Chrome Webstore Link]
  11. Still don't care about cookies - Original cookie blocker which uses Avast. [Chrome Webstore Link]
  12. uBlock Origin - The best 'blocker' out there. On certain sites I turn off the Shields within Brave and use this instead. It tends to resolve very rare issues I have with the Brave Shields. For most browsing I have this running in parallel with the Brave Shield system. [Chrome Webstore Link]

Regards Daron

iPhone 14 Pro Max | iPad Pro 11” | iPad Mini | Mac Mini M2 Pro | Apple 4K TV | HomePods | Powerbeats | AirPod Pro 2 | Beats Studio 3 | Apple Watch Ultra 2 | AirTag
fowljr

Re: Brave Browser and the Extensions I use

Post by fowljr »

I never get around to checking out any extensions. My browser use is quite straightforward I guess!!
Regards,
Jim

iPhone 15 | iPad Pro 11" | Apple Watch Ultra | AirPods Pro
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5 | Galaxy Buds2 Pro
Tekguru
Site Admin

Post by Tekguru »

Those are the core ones I use. I want to be protected data wise.

Oh the NoScript extension has now been changed to this one.
Regards Daron

iPhone 14 Pro Max | iPad Pro 11” | iPad Mini | Mac Mini M2 Pro | Apple 4K TV | HomePods | Powerbeats | AirPod Pro 2 | Beats Studio 3 | Apple Watch Ultra 2 | AirTag
fowljr

Post by fowljr »

Hmmm. Maybe one day!
Regards,
Jim

Tekguru
Site Admin

Post by Tekguru »

LOL, each to his own I guess.
Regards Daron

fowljr

Post by fowljr »

I guess I just don’t use the browser enough to warrant using them. I don’t have any installed as far as I can see.
Regards,
Jim

Tekguru
Site Admin

Post by Tekguru »

I use the Mac most of the time so yeah useful for me.
Regards Daron

fowljr

Post by fowljr »

Yep. I’m on the Pad of I now. I got back from work, needed to finish a few things, couldn’t be bothered to boot the laptop. Microsoft 365 just works so well for me I must admit.
Regards,
Jim

Tekguru
Site Admin

Post by Tekguru »

If you're in that sort of eco-system I can see an iPad doing the job nicely. No way on gods earth I could use one to do everything I need to achieve.
Regards Daron

fowljr

Post by fowljr »

True. It depends on what you are doing. Of course I do have the Surface Pro and a Raspberry Pi and a small form factor (OLD!) PC should I need to do anything more. I've just not felt the need to spend on a new Desktop or Laptop machine for years now. My computing has ramped down in terms of I can do more with tablet/phone these days.

The Raspberry Pi is quite interesting. I've had it for a while, Sue bought it for me, but only just recently booted it up. I love being able to pull the SD out and boot a whole new OS in seconds! (I know you can do multi boot on loads of machines!! It just seems more convenient on the Pi). It's not massively powerful, but a good tech toy!
Regards,
Jim