This forum is for Alumni users of the Tekguru, 4Winmobile or SmartphoneGurus web sites. Any other users looking to join will likely be deleted.

Dell U3224KB 6K - The journey

This forum is visible to all visitors to the site to allow any posted reviews to be read.
Tekguru
Site Admin

Re: Dell U3224KB 6K - The journey

Post by Tekguru »

Tested out what the monitor would look like in VR on the table in the cottage. It looks rather huge.
Very likely we’ll be ordering on Friday for delivery Monday. I’ll be out visiting my Sister so Aly will have to take delivery.
Rather excited. Many years I’ve wanted a worthy successor to the 34” UW looks like this will be it.

Attachments
IMG_1788.png
Regards Daron

iPhone 14 Pro Max | iPad Pro 11” | iPad Mini | Mac Mini M2 Pro | Apple 4K TV | HomePods | Powerbeats | AirPod Pro 2 | Beats Studio 3 | Apple Watch Ultra 2 | AirTag
Tekguru
Site Admin

Post by Tekguru »

And ordered it should be here tomorrow 😀

Leaving the holiday cottage tonight to ensure we’re in for the delivery.
Regards Daron

iPhone 14 Pro Max | iPad Pro 11” | iPad Mini | Mac Mini M2 Pro | Apple 4K TV | HomePods | Powerbeats | AirPod Pro 2 | Beats Studio 3 | Apple Watch Ultra 2 | AirTag
fowljr

Post by fowljr »

Tekguru wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 12:45 pm Yeah but when you think the monitor I have now was £1600 (IIRC) 8-9 years ago... And the Apple Studio Display with adjustable stand is £2k.
Yeah, Eek & Double Eek!! :shock:
Regards,
Jim

iPhone 15 | iPad Pro 11" | Apple Watch Ultra | AirPods Pro
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5 | Galaxy Buds2 Pro
fowljr

Post by fowljr »

Nice one mate. I will be honest, I would not spend 2.5k on a monitor, but then, I will spend money on phones, so there you go! :D

I look forward to your thoughts on it.
Regards,
Jim

iPhone 15 | iPad Pro 11" | Apple Watch Ultra | AirPods Pro
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5 | Galaxy Buds2 Pro
Tekguru
Site Admin

Post by Tekguru »

Yep it is scary expensive (paid for 5 years cover on it too), but if it all works (it should) then it will have to last a lot of years. Plus loads of ports on it so it'll work with a Mac, iPad, PC, etc. So pretty future proofed. Includes a KVM system and acts as a USB hub (up to 140W power).

It was the last part of my 60th birthday reserve, so yeah budgeted for. :) Ideally I would have wanted an Apple Display, but I just could not cope with a 27" display after using the 34" UW. This way the 32" 'TV ratio' will hopefully compensate for that:
IMG_1839.jpeg
IMG_1839.jpeg (86.3 KiB) Viewed 3135 times
As you can see on the virtual view it's a big beastie, much taller than the UW and nearly as wide.

Regards Daron

Tekguru
Site Admin

Post by Tekguru »

And we're here! This is a hell of a monitor, 18Kg delivered, which meant a flipping heavy box! It took about 10 minutes to assemble and lift on to the desk, moving the old Samsung monitor back towards the rear of the desk to accomomdate it. The large desk comes in handy at times!
IMG_1841.jpeg

IMG_1842.jpeg

Dell Drivers and Management software all loaded on the Mac and I'm connected via Thunderbolt 4. Initial thoughts:
  • The range of resolutions available:
Screenshot 2023-05-19 at 14.34.22.png
At the moment I'm working in 3360 x 1890, not that much different I guess to the 34" UW which was 3340 x 1440, but a lot taller.
  • Speakers - the speakers are way better than those in the Samsung, although not quite as good as my 20 year old Creative desk speakers, not not far off. I'll see how it goes and may well manage with those built into the monitor as it'll mean a much tidier desk.
  • Flat screen - after using a curved screen for 8+ years it seems strange to be using a screen that 'curves away' at the edges. I am rapidly adjusting :)
  • Crispness - The 6K screen does make a heck of a difference with display quality, text and images are so much crisper and easier to read.
  • Wake up - The old Samsung monitor had to be connected to HDMI and took around 8-10 seconds to come to life, the U3224KB wakes in 1-2 seconds. 
  • OSD - The On Screen Display and UI for configuring the monitor are sweet and fast to use
  • Head & Shoulders - I have to agree with a lot of other folks, the speakers in the top of the monitor do make the shoulders' look pretty large, but it only took maybe half an hour to get used to them. Web Cam - yep it does make for a large 'head' on the shoulders, but it's no larger than my old Logitech camera and much better quality.

IMG_1843.jpeg

IMG_1844.jpeg

IMG_1845.jpeg
So far I'm loving it!

Regards Daron

Tekguru
Site Admin

Post by Tekguru »

Playtime today:
  • Disconnected the RJ45 network cable from the Mac Mini M2 Pro and plugged it into the monitor
  • Disconnected the 2 x USB-A to lightning cables that go to the Magic Keyboard & Glidepad from my USB3 hub and plugged them into the monitor
  • Disconnected my old USBC 3 hub as it's no longer needed. This means both USB3 drives can connect directly to the Mac Mini.
  • Ran a USB-C cable from the old Mac Mini to the monitor
After that was done I loaded the Dell Mac software on both Macs and ran through the KVM wizard. This means when I hit a keyboard shortcut I can switch displays, keyboard, glidepad between Macs - nigh on instantly. This means a reduction in cabling and the retirement of the old keyboard / glidepad from the old Mini
  • Programmed the monitor to switch into 'Movie Mode' when I use any of my media playback apps.
  • Adjusted the monitor so it sits lower and tilts back slightly, good ergonomic practices, LOL
  • Fine tuned the webcam so that it can do all the auto-adjustment needed for when using video.
So all I've got to do now is fine tune the cable management once I've bought cables of a size that fits better than the ones in place now. Then I can sit back and enjoy!
IMG_1848 (1).jpeg
Oh and if I was using a Windows PC I'd have the Windows Hello login working via the webcam too, alas not supported on Macs.....

A fun satisfying day.....

Regards Daron

firstbuddha

Post by firstbuddha »

Looks a beaut
Tekguru
Site Admin

Post by Tekguru »

It is, really enjoying using it. It shows up how the old Samsung 34" UW had aged.
Regards Daron

Tekguru
Site Admin

Post by Tekguru »

Finally, in place with all cables tidied away etc....

Attachments
IMG_1861.jpeg
Regards Daron