This forum is for Alumni users of the Tekguru, 4Winmobile or SmartphoneGurus web sites. Any other users looking to join will likely be deleted.

Review: Brodit Active holder with USB-cable and cig-plug adaptor for iPhone 14 Pro Max

This forum is visible to all visitors to the site to allow any posted reviews to be read.
Tekguru
Site Admin

Review: Brodit Active holder with USB-cable and cig-plug adaptor for iPhone 14 Pro Max

Post by Tekguru »

I've now become the proud owner of an iPhone 14 Pro Max and of course the phone will be used in the car for entertainment and navigation via the Apple CarPlay system. As it's not a cheap phone I want it mounted safely in the car in such a way that it is secure and plugged into the USB A port which is used for the wired Apple CarPlay connection.

THE PARTS
Mount 14 Pro Max - 1 b.jpeg
As always in this situation I look to Brodit for a high quality phone mount. They, of course, have a product which offers the ideal solution. This is the 'Active holder with USB-cable and cig-plug adaptor for iPhone 14 Pro Max' (Item # 721277) (it also works with the iPhone 13 Pro Max and the iPhone 14 Plus). This was purchased via Brodit UK and retailed for £69.99.
Mount 14 Pro Max - 02.jpeg
Enclosed within the minimalistic packaging are:
  • The Active Mount with attached USB lead (and USB cigarette lighter power adaptor)
  • Instructions for fixing and using the mount
  • A packet containing 4 self-tapping fixing screws
Mount 14 Pro Max - 03 & 4.jpg
It is recommended that the mount is powered via either direct USB connection (CarPlay or Android Auto) or using the USB cigarette lighter power adaptor if no connection to the car's system is needed. The White port is for Apple Devices and Green for Android.
Mount 14 Pro Max - 04 b.jpeg
Mount 14 Pro Max - 05.jpeg
The Active Mount itself comprises two main components (which look to be made from ABS plastic); a front plate with embedded lightning connection, and a rear swivel universal jointed plate which fixes to the the Brodit Proclip**.

** = You can check out a review of the ProClip used on my Hyundai Tucson here.
Mount 14 Pro Max - 07 & 08.jpg
FITTING

One thing I always do before looking to fit a mount is to do a 'dry fit' to see if the phone properly fits into it without any issues. As you can see, the iPhone 14 Pro Max fits snuggly into the slots moulded into the mount and the lightning connection locates properly without any issues.

As a side note - the design of the mount has been changed since the design I used for mounting the iPhone 12 Pro Max, in that there are now slots moulded into the side of the mount. These seem to allow the phone to be gripped more firmly by the mount but use significantly less gripping force.
Mount 14 Pro Max - 17.jpeg
Preparing to fix the mount in position the tools are assembled, a small length 'star' screwdriver and some black cable wrap.
Mount 14 Pro Max - 20 & 22B.jpg
When in the car, the screwdriver is used to separate the front plate from the universal joint back-plate.
Mount 14 Pro Max - 23.jpeg
The back-plate is then screwed into place on the ProClip using the 4 screws provided.
Mount 14 Pro Max - 26.jpeg
The front plate of the mount itself can then be screwed back onto the back-plate, tilting and twisting it into the desired position before fully tightening the screw.
Mount 14 Pro Max - 28 & 30.jpg
Once the mount is secure the cable is then run through the existing cable management clips (#216270) to ensure it can't move about while the car is in motion.
Mount 14 Pro Max - 31 & 34.jpg
Once that is done the final tidying up of the install can be completed - the 'spare' cabling is looped together and wrapped with the cable wrap. This gives a tidy appearence and allows the rest of the cubby to be used freely with no risk of cable entanglement.
Mount 14 Pro Max - 35.jpeg
Mount 14 Pro Max - 36.jpeg
As you can see everything is fully operational, the phone is charging with no problems, and CarPlay is fully operational.

CONCLUSION

I'm very happy to be using a Brodit Active Holder in my car. Brodit produce the best (IMHO) in car mounting systems out there and hold phones rock steady. There are no concerns about the phone leaving the mount when you go over a speed bump or pothole.

PROS & CONS
  • Pro - A good solid mount for your phone
  • Pro - Custom designed to for your car and phone
  • Pro - No danger of your phone coming loose
  • Pro - The phone is held securely and therefore the display can be clearly read whilst driving
  • Pro - In the UK the phone can be used for navigation legally as it is solidly mounted
  • Con - Not the cheapest phone mount on the market (but likely the best)
FINALLY

Would I recommend Brodit mounts? Yes with not a single hesitation, I've been using them for over 20 years. They are 100% reliable, and if you do have any issues the support is first class.
Regards Daron

iPhone 14 Pro Max | iPad Pro 11” | iPad Mini | Mac Mini M2 Pro | Apple 4K TV | HomePods | Powerbeats | AirPod Pro 2 | Beats Studio 3 | Apple Watch Ultra 2 | AirTag
fowljr

Re: Review: Brodit Active holder with USB-cable and cig-plug adaptor for iPhone 14 Pro Max

Post by fowljr »

Nice review mate. Brodit always did produce quality mounts. Good to see they’ve carried on the tradition. Still no need for one here though!! :-)
Regards,
Jim

iPhone 15 | iPad Pro 11" | Apple Watch Ultra | AirPods Pro
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5 | Galaxy Buds2 Pro
Tony

Re: Review: Brodit Active holder with USB-cable and cig-plug adaptor for iPhone 14 Pro Max

Post by Tony »

Likewise, many Brodit mounts over the years.

Now it just sits on a Magsafe charger under the armrest and wireless does the rest.
Tony

Lancashire

e-MTB, Hi-Fi, AV, Computers/Gaming, Photography
Tekguru
Site Admin

Post by Tekguru »

Indeed. If the Tucson did support wireless CarPlay I'd likely be using a MagSafe Brodit Mount :)
Regards Daron

iPhone 14 Pro Max | iPad Pro 11” | iPad Mini | Mac Mini M2 Pro | Apple 4K TV | HomePods | Powerbeats | AirPod Pro 2 | Beats Studio 3 | Apple Watch Ultra 2 | AirTag
fowljr

Post by fowljr »

I didn't realise they did MagSafe mounts, will take a look out of interest!! :-)
Regards,
Jim

fowljr

Post by fowljr »

Tony wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:21 am Likewise, many Brodit mounts over the years.

Now it just sits on a Magsafe charger under the armrest and wireless does the rest.
Is that a BMW accessory Tony, or something you've added?
Regards,
Jim

Tekguru
Site Admin

Post by Tekguru »

fowljr wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:18 am I didn't realise they did MagSafe mounts, will take a look out of interest!! :-)
They most certainly do, a few different models and types.
Regards Daron

fowljr

Post by fowljr »

I see, you supply the magsafe puck yourself?
Regards,
Jim

Tekguru
Site Admin

Post by Tekguru »

Yep, which lowers the cost I guess and makes sure it is fully MagSafe compatible.
Regards Daron

Tony

Post by Tony »

fowljr wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:19 am
Tony wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:21 am Likewise, many Brodit mounts over the years.

Is that a BMW accessory Tony, or something you've added?
No, just an Apple Magsafe charger with USB-C cable and plugs in under the armrest and I just drop the phone on it and close the lid. Carplay is wireless as you know, Jim so I don't need to see it or touch it once in there.
Tony

Lancashire

e-MTB, Hi-Fi, AV, Computers/Gaming, Photography