This forum is for Alumni users of the Tekguru, 4Winmobile or SmartphoneGurus web sites. Any other users looking to join will likely be deleted.

Review: Brodit ProClip (#655764) for the Hyundai Tucson (year 2022)

This forum is visible to all visitors to the site to allow any posted reviews to be read.
Tekguru
Site Admin

Review: Brodit ProClip (#655764) for the Hyundai Tucson (year 2022)

Post by Tekguru »

THE PARTS

This review covers the fitment and operational use of the 'Brodit ProClip (#655764) for the Hyundai Tucson (year 2022)'
but also incorporates the following Brodit products:
10.jpeg
The ProClip was newly purchased along with the adhesive clips from Brodit UK (Badol), the Active Holder for the iPhone and the the Gap Opener I already owned. As well as these Brodit parts I had ready some spiral cable wrap which I'd used previously.
15.jpeg
As always the Proclip package contains:
  • The ProClip mount which is especially designed to fit onto the Tucson (with sticky areas protected by a peel off adhesive covering)
  • Fitting instructions
  • Mounting screws
  • Alcohol pad
16.jpeg
Brodit recommend that you read all the instructions and review the photos contained within prior to fitting the Clip. The photos shown on the web are a lot clearer.
Installation.jpeg
"Please read all of the instructions and look at the pictures before attaching the ProClip. It is important to install the ProClip first: any holder/equipment is to be attached after the ProClip is in place.

1. Use the enclosed alcohol pad to clean the area where the mount is to be installed. Peel off the adhesive tape covers on the mount. Press the lower edge of the mount into the gap between the air vent and the surrounding frame.
2. Press upward/forward on bottom of the mount. Press the upper edge of the mount into the gap between the air vent and the surrounding frame.
3. View from the side.
4. The ProClip is place."

Usually I'd agree with them completely, but I had some issues on installing the ProClip and alas had to go my own route, at my own risk, to get the Clip fitted. I'll come to this shortly.

THE CLIP

The ProClip itself looks like:
20.jpeg
23.jpeg
25.jpeg
And for reference the Active Holder:
28.jpeg

FITTING

Now as to getting the Clip mounted into the car, the issue was that the 'Press the lower edge of the mount into the gap between the air vent and the surrounding frame' instruction was nigh on impossible to follow as the lower edge would not stay in position whilst you tried to 'Press upward/forward on bottom of the mount. Press the upper edge of the mount into the gap between the air vent and the surrounding frame'. In fact after trying this four times, and each time it 'popped' off the vent, the Proclip actually broke:
110.jpeg
This resulted in Badol having to send a new ProClip out to me. When the new Clip arrived I spent a little time looking at its design, studying the Tucson, and putting my 'Engineers brain' into action :)
30.jpeg
In the end I reversed the instructions and fitted the top adhesive part into place in the vent, used the Gap Tool to create a slight gap between the vent and the fascia (gap tool left in place), and lifted and popped the lower edge of the Clip into the gap. On removing the Gap tool the Clip seems to have locked solidly into place with no problems. **

** = If you decide to follow my method you do so at your own risk - I accept no responsibility if you damage the ProClip or your Tucson. Caveat emptor-ish.
40.jpeg
I pre-screwed the mounting screws into the Clip prior to fitting the holder in order to reduce stress loads whilst screwing the holder in place.
50.jpeg
60.jpeg
Finally the holder was positioned, firstly the lower universal mount, then the holder itself.
70.jpeg
80.jpeg
Next the cable from the holder to the USB socket had to be considered, it was run around the side of the centre console, down to the 'phone tray', the cable doubled over to reduce its length then cable wrapped for neatness. It was then connected to the USB / Charge port.
100.jpeg
90.jpeg
Now that the cable was lying properly two of the 'adhesive clip' cable mounts were used to secure the cable neatly to the under-hang on the console.
120.jpeg
130.jpeg
This gives a final neat install for the ProClip in the Tucson and a great position for the iPhone while driving. And before anyone asks, you can still get at both the hazard light switch as well as the louvre control for the right hand air vent.

CONCLUSION

In conclusion I'm very happy once again to be using a Brodit ProClip / Active Holder system in my car. They produce the best (IMHO) in car mounting systems out there and hold phones rock steady with no concerns about a phone departing in-car rubber holding systems when you go over a speed bump or pot hole.

PROS & CONS
  • Pro - A good solid mount for your phone
  • Pro - Custom designed to for your car and phone
  • Pro - No danger of your phone coming loose
  • Pro - The phone is held securely and therefore the display can be clearly read whilst driving
  • Pro - In the UK the phone can be used for navigation legally as it is solidly mounted
  • Pro - Does not damage the car at all like some other mounting systems
  • Con - Not the cheapest phone mount on the market
  • Con - Not the easiest fitting process to go through

FINALLY

Would I recommend Brodit mounts? Yes with not a single hesitation, I've been using them for over 20 years, and this is the first ProClip I've had any fitting issues with. They are 100% reliable, and if you do have any issues the support is first class.

Go on treat yourself :)
Regards Daron

iPhone 14 Pro Max | iPad Pro 11” | iPad Mini | Mac Mini M2 Pro | Apple 4K TV | HomePods | Powerbeats | AirPod Pro 2 | Beats Studio 3 | Apple Watch Ultra 2 | AirTag
Tekguru
Site Admin

Re: Review: Brodit ProClip (#655764) for the Hyundai Tucson (year 2022)

Post by Tekguru »

[PLACEHOLDER FOR ANY ADDITIONAL NOTES]
Regards Daron

iPhone 14 Pro Max | iPad Pro 11” | iPad Mini | Mac Mini M2 Pro | Apple 4K TV | HomePods | Powerbeats | AirPod Pro 2 | Beats Studio 3 | Apple Watch Ultra 2 | AirTag
fowljr

Post by fowljr »

Nice review D. Good to see Brodit still producing mounting solutions. It was always great to get a Brodit mount in the car, I’ve had them for many devices over the years.

Nowadays,, with Wireless CarPlay, I just don’t use a cradle that often any more so a simple vent mount suffices when needed. Most of the time the phone just stays in my pocket these days….
Regards,
Jim

iPhone 13 | iPad Pro 11" | Apple Watch Ultra | AirPods Pro
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 | Galaxy Buds2 Pro
Tekguru
Site Admin

Post by Tekguru »

Yep it was a fun experience to get it fitted as you could see. Working as good as always (so far anyway), Brodit still do a top job!
I might have a go at rearranging the upper cable mount to see if I can get it tucked up behind the console (like the lower one). I couldn't quite get it positioned right when I came to get it in position, so it ended up on the flat part of the dashboard. It's annoying me now as it keeps on catching my eye.
Regards Daron

Tekguru
Site Admin

Post by Tekguru »

Alas today I've sent this email to Badol (Brodit UK):
Hi guys alas I’ve had to stop using the Brodit pro clip for the Tucson. As you may recall I had major issues getting it to stay in place on the car when originally fitted.

Since then it has ‘sprung’ loose from the car dashboard three times. The latest time being today when it decided to throw itself, with the Active Mount and iPhone, off the dash whilst we were driving. Previously it had come loose while putting the phone in the mount - it was inconvenient / problematic to attach it again but manageable.

Luckily my wife was in the car with me and was able to grab and catch the clip / active mount / phone assembly when it fell. If I’d had to try to grab it whilst driving it could have been dangerous or could have damaged the phone or car.

I’m hoping that Brodit can come up with a better design of ProClip which can fit better into the Tucson. The current design has issues both in the initial fitting and then once in place remain there.

If you can feed this back to Brodit it’d be appreciated and if they have any thoughts or comments I’d love to hear what they say.
I'll feed back as to what (if anything) I get as a response.

Regards Daron

firstbuddha

Post by firstbuddha »

Great review and look forward to seeing if you get a response from Brodit.

Question - you have CarPlay in your vehicle. Why do you want to have the phone in that position, rather than leaving the phone in the phone tray?
Tekguru
Site Admin

Post by Tekguru »

Badol rang me around an hour after me sending them the email. They reckon their UK Product Manager tried to fit the ProClip into a Tucson and ended up breaking the clip. He then redesigned it and has sent the design to Brodit in Sweden to re-manufacture. Once the new design is available Brodit will send me one out (FOC) for testing. Top customer service. So we'll see what transpires.

I have the phone up there so it is easy to access, firmly held and not floating around in the charging tray. Plus that leaves the QI charging tray free for Aly to use.
Regards Daron

Tony

Post by Tony »

I'm with Chris here. My phone is on a Magsafe charging pad in the central armrest with Car Play used on the BMW display using their interface (touch or rotary controller). Absolutely no need to have the phone on view at all.
Tony

Lancashire

e-MTB, Hi-Fi, AV, Computers/Gaming, Photography
Tekguru
Site Admin

Post by Tekguru »

Quite possibly but as nobody else does a mount for the Tucson (I’ll not use a vent mount) it’s the best contender. Plus if using TomTom on the iPhone you get CarPlay for the main map and can see forthcoming route directions on the phone. That can be very useful.
If it fits poorly when the new design arrives I’ll go with the short cable arriving today and manage with it in the ‘tray’.
Regards Daron

fowljr

Post by fowljr »

I don't have my phone on view these days with carplay and android Auto!!

I must get a massage charger to put in the armrest, top idea Tony, I know you've mentioned it before but I've never focused on it!!
Regards,
Jim

iPhone 13 | iPad Pro 11" | Apple Watch Ultra | AirPods Pro
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 | Galaxy Buds2 Pro